19 January 2007

Toilet Business Ideas Episode One: Web Annotation

Like most people I regularly have flashes of inspiration that seem great at the time - at least until I come out of the toilet - but I don't have time to really look into any of them (I'm too busy getting my first venture of the ground, and I seem to have mislaid my clone army.) So I have gallantly decided to squirt them out here for anyone who might be interested.

I haven't researched these ideas, and the really good stuff I've kept for myself, so don't expect these to be any more than unworkable / done to death brain dross. But there just might be a nugget of goodness amidst the dross.

I'll be posting these individually on an irregular basis, starting with toilet idea episode one:


Web-wide message board browser plugin

A browser plugin that lists community comments and contextually similar websites in a side bar. Self explanatory, really. It would be great if everyone who looks at a web page could leave comments and advice for everyone else who visits, through a single interface. Revenue would probably come through contextual ads, Google adsense stylee.

I'm pretty enthusiastic that this would add tremendous value to the web, and after a bit of digging it turns out that I'm not alone. There are a slew of new tools coming out that allow community commenting of any web site, a practice known as web annotation (wikipedia), and it's tied into the "semantic web," an evolution of the Web that is going to dramatically change how we view the web once it kicks off. All are still in very early stages of development, and the idea looks ripe for commercialization. Although I haven't found any mention of it, I wouldn't be surprised if Google was working on a killer app as I type. I'll grab some of the tools floating about out there and come back with my findings. Watch this space (unless you've got something better to do - it could be weeks before I get around to it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment